Saturday 30 October 2010

Preconceptions


Hey there! It's Dan again! In my blog entries, I want to show and write about various LGBTQ artwork that I find, perhaps sometimes with some sort of theme to go with it, so I'm not just just showing random pieces of artwork for the heck of it! It also means that there are lots of pictures in my blogs, and not much reading, which I know will appeal to some people!

This time, I wanted to write a blog with the theme of preconceptions. Or stereotypes, or prejudices, if you prefer! Or rather; I'll write about how silly they often can be!

http://remnantxxx.deviantart.com/art/Homosexual-acts-performed-here-177154085?q=boost%3Apopular+max_age%3A744h+lgbt&qo=55


Like this photo, shown at the top of the page. I know I wanted to hit myself for the first thought that popped into my head when I saw the sign "Homosexual Acts Performed Here". But really, it's a brilliant demonstration that gay people act just like everyone else, and it's mearly only a small aspect of their life which is different to anyone else's. And I love it, I think it's a brilliant demonstration! It's suprising how many people probably haven't thought of homosexual acts in this way!

http://broken-pencil-lead.deviantart.com/art/Yes-I-m-Gay-But-Poster-II-175008946?q=boost%3Apopular+max_age%3A24h+gay&qo=1

http://broken-pencil-lead.deviantart.com/art/Yes-I-m-Lesbian-But-182012053

These are two pieces of art with a similar message. They are the same sort of thing: one is a gay man describing themselves, and the other is a lesbian. I think that it shows that even if someone’s gay or lesbian, they’re still individuals, and all have their own traits! Stereotypes of gay people exist for a reason: they must be true to some extent! But no-one should feel like they should conform to these stereotypes, or similarly, there’s no need to avoid them purely to not be associated with other stereotypes! I think that the simplest thing to do is accept yourself as you are (as corny as this is) and not worry about this sort of thing, or let it influence you too much!

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=gay+gender+is+is+not#/d2w4346

Katrin, the female rep, has discovered this piece before! I think this is a great summary which I think might help some people! The subject of gender, and the fluidity (for lack of a better word) of it, isn’t a subject I’d ever considered until recently! I’d be interested to see how accurate people think this demonstration of gender is, and whether some people can relate to their description of gender! Or whether people have different ideas on it altogether! But I think that the main idea of this piece, that it is something that one chooses for themselves, is a great one to have.

I hope you enjoyed this post. I think that some of what I've posted are actually quite thought provoking, and it would be cool to hear if anyone has any comments to add! :D

Dan. :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I really want to do my own little thing, like those pictures by broken-pencil. Just to explain my perspective - I think Katrin's writing one from that angle now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a bad idea! I fancy making one that reperesents me too now!

    ReplyDelete